Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!
Teachers, you amaze us. Not only have you dedicated your career to sharing knowledge and shaping minds, but you work hard and care deeply.
When 2020 sent students out of classrooms to learn from home, you pushed through the disruption and adapted to teaching virtually all while helping students and parents navigate the digital learning curve.
To show our appreciation for everything you do, we’ve gathered some fascinating facts about teaching for you to share with your students, friends, and family. We’ve also included some offers from our partners especially for you!
When Is Teacher Appreciation Week?
National Teacher Appreciation Week happens in the first week of May every year.
It was in 1980 that the National Education Association (NEA) lobbied congress to designate a time to honor teachers and show gratitude for the work they do and the passion they have for guiding children and young adults in the pursuit of knowledge. In 1984, the National PTA designated the first week in May as Teacher Appreciation Week.
Teacher Appreciation Day happens in the midst of Teacher Appreciation Week. In 2022, it’s on Tuesday, May 3rd.
5 Fascinating Facts About Teachers and Teaching
Although it may not be so obvious during parent-teacher conferences, 89% of people recognize that teachers have a “really hard job.” And 87% of people say they wish they’d been better about telling their teachers how much they appreciate their hard work and encouragement.
Here are five more intriguing facts about teachers and the history of teaching.
1. No One Really Knows Who the First Teacher Was
Ask who the first teacher was and some will say Confucius (born 551 BCE), the Chinese philosopher. Others will insist it was Aristotle (born 470 BCE), or the man who taught him, Prodicus (born 465 BCE). In Greek mythology, the wise centaur Chiron bestowed knowledge upon the early teachers.
2. The First School in the U.S. Was Founded Before the Revolutionary War
The first public school appeared in Boston, Massachusetts before the United States won independence. The Boston Latin School was founded on April 23, 1635, as a boys-only secondary school. Its first Headmaster was Philemon Pormont, a Puritan settler. Boston Latin School (now co-ed) is a six-year college preparatory school. Admission is highly competitive.
3. Teachers Shell Out Nearly $500 a Year for School Supplies
The start of every school year is marked by gathering school supplies. You might be surprised to learn that teachers spend an average of $459 a year on things like extra pencils, construction paper, and software. And that number doesn’t include the items the school district reimburses them for.
4. Only About Half of Teachers Say They Feel Valued
Here’s a sobering fact: In a 2019 survey, only about half of teachers (52%) said they felt valued by their communities. School funding and teacher salaries played a role in whether teachers felt valued. Among the teachers who didn’t feel valued, 16% said they were valued “a little or not at all.”
5. Teachers Make a Positive Impact — 88% of People Agree
The odds are good that you’ve had a teacher who made a difference in your life. Most adults can name at least one. In fact, 88% of them say that a teacher had a significant positive impact on their lives. That’s worth noting and appreciating!
Thank You, Teachers!
If 2020 and 2021 taught us anything, it’s that teachers are essential. They care so much about their students and their role as educators that they’ve endured unprecedented challenges to ensure their students continue to learn and grow, even during a global pandemic.
These offers from ID.me partners are our small way of saying thank you, teachers, for everything you do.
- 4inkjets: Get 15% off LD-brand Ink & Toner + Free shipping at 4inkjets. Code TEACHER15
- Soylent: Get 20% off plant-based, complete nutrition meal replacement shakes.
- Zenni: Get 15% off Sitewide Now!
- Mixbook: Enjoy Up To 50% Off + Free Shipping
- Ledlenser: Receive 35% off Ledlenser products this week.
- Geologie: Exclusive! 80% Off Geologie Powerful, Custom Skincare for Men
- Reebok: 50% off Sitewide
- Ghostbed: Sleep Wellness Teacher Appreciation! Take 33% OFF Ghostbed!
- Electronic Express: Save 6% on select televisions when you verify with ID.me
- KiwiCo: 50% off first month of KiwiCo
- [solidcore]: [solidcore] is [committed] to our teachers!
- Ekster: Get 30% Off Ekster For Teachers Only
- Academy Sports + Outdoors: Teachers + School Staff Get 10% Off
- The Happy Planner: Up to 25% Off with Buy More, Save More for Back To School
- Tula Skincare: Exclusive offer: SAVE 20% at TULA.com & get glowing skin.
- Girlfriend Collective: 20% Off Sustainable Activewear, Loungewear, Swim and More
- Rumpl: 30% off your order on Rumpl.com. No exclusions. Gear up for summer!